[mythtv-users] mkv subtitle issues

Phillip Duda almvtb at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 18:41:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Phillip Duda <almvtb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> With mythtv 0.25 I have started trying to watch some subtitled things
>> with the internal player that I had been playing with mplayer, but I
>> have been running in to some problems.  I was just curious if anyone
>> else had these issues, and if  you do how did you deal with them.
>> Anyways, here are the issues I have been having.
>>
>> 1) Some subs appear too high in the video.  I have tracked this down
>> to only being bitmap subs for me.
>
> It's possible that this is the same issue as in
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10688 .  This ticket has been fixed
> in 0.25-fixes.

It is the same issue.  I actually submitted that patch.

>> 2) Internal "plain text" subs appear too early.
>> 3) External "plain text" subs appear too late.
>
> Are these subtitles appearing too early/late with respect to mplayer,
> or visual inspection, or what?  Which type of internal subtitles?

They are srt subtitles that I placed into .mkv container.  visual
inspection as well as a comparison between Myth and mplayer on linux
and Media Player Classic HC on windows.  I actually started looking
into this, and at least for the internal subs it appears to be an
issue with myth not respecting the decode/present time stamps from
ffmpeg for the subtitles.  I threw in a quick hack that appeared to
work for my subs, but did not really look to see what other side
effects it might have.

The external srt file appeared to have an issue with the
NormalizeVideoTimecode() function.  I cannot remember off the top of
my head if I figured out what exactly the problem was.

>> 4) "plain text" subs are always white, so there are lost on white backgrounds.
>
> See http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10728 .  The code that draws a
> black outline around text was accidentally removed in the initial 0.25
> release, but it is back now in 0.25-fixes.

Sweet I will have to find the time to update all my myth boxes to get
that fix in there.