[mythtv-users] Channel tuning broken in 0.24

Igor Cicimov icicimov at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 14:08:05 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Michael Watson <
michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:

> On 1/06/2012 10:33 PM, Igor Cicimov wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Michael Watson <
>> michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au <mailto:michael@**thewatsonfamily.id.au<michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au>>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>    On 31/05/2012 3:42 PM, Igor Cicimov wrote:
>>
>>        On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Michael T. Dean
>>        <mtdean at thirdcontact.com <mailto:mtdean at thirdcontact.**com<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
>> >
>>        <mailto:mtdean at thirdcontact.**com <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
>>
>>        <mailto:mtdean at thirdcontact.**com <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>>>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>           On 05/31/2012 12:53 AM, Michael Watson wrote:
>>
>>               On 31/05/2012 11:45 AM, Igor Cicimov wrote:
>>
>>                   I noticed that after upgrade to Mythtv 0.24 the channel
>>                   tuning is awful. I'm using Leadtek DVB-T DTV2000H
>>        (using
>>                   the digital receiver only) and the card was working
>>        fine
>>                   for years on 0.20 and later for couple of months on
>>                   0.23-fixes. After upgrade to 0.24-fixes it can't
>>        scan half
>>                   of the DVB-T channels in Sydney and recording on it is
>>                   practically impossible. The distro is Mythbuntu
>>        10.04 with
>>                   the latest kernel from the repo (which I think is
>>        2.6.35
>>                   but not sure I'm not at home now to check).
>>
>>                   What has changed in Mythtv to affect this card so
>>        badly?
>>                   Anything I can do to improve the performance? And
>>        yes, I
>>                   tried deleting all the cards,inputs,sources etc in the
>>                   backend and recreating again but no changes. Or
>>        maybe the
>>                   kernel driver cx88xx in the latest kernels does not
>>        play
>>                   good with this card any more?
>>
>>                   Before rolling back to 0.23 I'll try to check the card
>>                   performance outside Mythtv. In meantime, any
>>        suggestions
>>                   to solve this highly appreciated.
>>
>>               I had to increase the Tuning Timeout.  3000ms seemed to
>>        work
>>               well for me in Melbourne.
>>

>>           Good advice.  I highly recommend a minimum of 3000ms/5500ms for
>>           tuning and signal timeouts.
>>
>>           Mike

>>        Yep that's also one thing that I tried. I had them set to 6s
>>        and 10s respectively which didn't happened at all, it just
>>        made scanning the whole channel range last longer.
>>
>>        Any other ideas? I'll try 0.25-fixes tonight if I have some
>>        time, I've read the LiveTV has been much improved in this release.
>>
>>        Thanks,
>>        Igor
>>
>>    When C31 first went digital, I was unable to successfully scan
>>    using mythtv, in order to get it to scan, I had to use w_scan to
>>    create an 'initial tuning-data' file, then use scan (from
>>    dvb-utils) to create a channels.conf file, then import the
>>    channels.conf file into MythTV.  Once this process was complete,
> [...]

Ok, I upgraded to 0.25-fixes-20120601 and some channels work now. I can't
get decent picture on Gem,Go,Channel9,Extra and they lock the frontend so I
have to restart it. During the upgrade I also got some compile error for
python bindings some IndentationError on dataheap.py. Also looks like every
time I update Mythtv I have to delete the card in the backend setup and
start the scan all over again.

Igor