[mythtv-users] Tricky to diagnose hardware problem

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Sat Jun 2 10:45:48 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I have just found out that there was a power surge in my area a couple
of weeks ago. That must have been what broke my Uninterruptable Power
Supply and the internal PSU of one of my machines. I'll be putting in a
claim for those.

There is a remaining problem that I can't get to the bottom of. With
each clean OS install (I did 3 or 4 in my attempt to get back to a fully
functioning system after a broken partial upgrade that happened a few
days before this power surge), I get occasional popups saying things like:

Ubuntu 12.04 has encountered an internal problem. Please reboot if this
persists.

I have run Memtest overnight which didn't find any problems. I checked
the hard drives and have run burnK7 (although I didn't run it for more
than about 10 minutes because I didn't want to damage anything)

All of these tests seem fine. BurnK7 didn't return anything, so should I
assume that is fine?

Maybe there's a problem with the motherboard or something. How could I
diagnose that?

One more clue is that rebooting occasionally hangs, very early in the
boot process. The last thing on screen when it hangs is something about
ACPI (that's probably the wrong acronym, but it's something like that).
This probably happens about 1 in 10.

Any ideas what I should do, or should I take the machine somewhere to be
repaired?

Damian