[mythtv-users] Issues since upgrading to 0.25

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 01:50:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Enigma <enigma at thedonnerparty.com> wrote:

> I recently upgraded my MythTV systems (2 backends, 5 frontends) to 0.25
> from 0.24-fixes. Previously I was using a mix of various Debian and Ubuntu
> versions, for the upgrade I installed Mythbuntu 12.04 on all frontends and
> Ubuntu server on the backends.  Since the upgrade I have been having
> several problems, I am posting this in the hope someone will recognize some
> of these symptoms and recommend fixes/workarounds.
>
> 1.  HDPVR.  I am currently using a HDPVR hooked up to a DirecTV HD box.  I
> am using http for channel changes, the HDPVR is not using the blaster.
> Video is through component cables, audio is analog through the RCA jacks.
> Since the upgrade the HDPVR has been extremely unstable.  Prior to the
> upgrade, I had very few problems - the device has frozen maybe 2-3 times in
> the past few years.  Since the upgrade the HDPVR is freezing up daily.
> When it does this it takes the whole USB bus down and so I lose channel
> changing on my other 2 directv boxes (which use USB->Serial adapters to
> change the channel).  Has anyone else seen this behavior on Ubuntu 12.04?
> This would seem to point to a driver issue since I didn't update the
> firmware on the device as part of the upgrade, the only thing that changed
> was the OS and MythTV version.

I've had this exact same problem. However, I can't say whether it's 12.04
or 0.25 that's doing it. The main hard drive in my backend crashed and when
I rebuilt it with 12.04 I was forced into 0.25.

In addition to locking up the USB bus, I was only able to get things back
to normal with a complete power off. A simply reboot didn't fix the
problem. It also seemed to cause problems with 2 PVR-250s that were in the
same box, but that could have just been a backend lockup because of the
HDPVR.

We're pretty serious about TV in my house and I got tired of having to fix
things daily. I ended up getting rid of my HDPVR and bought a HDHR3CC tuner
and haven't had any problems since.

It stinks you can't do the same thing.