[mythtv-users] Recordings from nonexistent channels

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jul 31 18:59:36 UTC 2012

On 07/30/2012 03:51 PM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I'm on 0.24-fixes.
>
> Occasionally (but too often to my liking) recordings fail. By "fail" I mean that something was recorded (i.e. good audio and video) but that it does not correspond with the metadate (i.e. with the program that I expected to be recorded).
>
> Looking at the backed logs, I see that the recording in question was recorded on a channel that does not exist. Example:
>
> Finished recording 	Anvil: the Story of Anvil: channel 2019
>
> Where channel 19 does not exist (i.e. select * from channel where chanid=2019; returns the empty set).
>
> Any idea how to troubleshoot this?

So, as I'm sure you're aware, MythTV never makes up channels nor channel
ID's (and that message should be printing a channel ID)--it operates
only on the data that's in the database.  Therefore, if that truly
is--and was at the time of the recording--a non-existent channel ID,
then there's likely some sort of memory corruption going on.

To figure out what's happening, it's important to look closely at what
you're actually seeing in the UI when you look at the recording in Watch
Recordings.  What does the theme show you for channel callsign and/or
name and/or number?  Does it give any information or hints that may
allow you to find that channel in the channel editor in mythtv-setup?
Even if the recording was a 0-byte recording, it should show metadata in
Watch Recordings until you delete it (at least if MythTV did not report
errors in trying to record it, where the "Finished recording" message
seems to indicate it didn't).  When you hit INFO on the recording, does
it provide any additional information that's useful?

Digging through the database may not be the best or easiest way to find
out what's going on--at least not without at least using the other
easier-to-find information about the recording that's in mythfrontend.

Mike