[mythtv-users] 'End late' ignored when recording LiveTV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jul 30 15:29:23 UTC 2012

On 07/27/2012 03:19 PM, Richard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed recently that if I toggle the recording status on a
> programme I'm watching via LiveTV, the recording often stops before
> the programme does because the 'End late' value was not applied.
>
> I did a bit of digging in the code and found this is done intentionally:
>
> void TVRec::NotifySchedulerOfRecording(RecordingInfo *rec)
> {
>     // + remove DefaultEndOffset which would mismatch the live session
>     rec->GetRecordingRule()->m_endOffset = 0;
> }
>
> The comment for NotifySchedulerOfRecording seems to indicate that this
> goes against the purpose of this method:
>
> "In this case the scheduler needs to know about the recording so it
>  can properly take overrecord into account, and to properly
>  reschedule other recordings around to avoid this recording."
>
> Normally I'd open a ticket but since it's been done intentionally I
> thought I'd check here to see if anyone can explain why.
>
> I don't need this feature very often but there's not much point using
> it at all if there's a good chance it's going to cause me to miss the
> end of the programme.

So, what you're saying is, "the setting which specifies a default value
for the end late when creating a new recording rule isn't applied when
I'm watching Live TV and I hit R to record the rest of the show"?

Default 'End Late' minutes for new recording rules
Set this to '0' unless you expect that the majority of your show times
will not match your TV listings. This sets the initial end late or end
early time when rules are created. These can then be adjusted per
recording rule.

The setting is meant to pre-populate the value in the recording rule
editor and nothing more.  If you want to use that value, create
recording rules.  IMHO, the benefit to be gained from adding code to
send a recording rule update after converting a Live TV recording to a
"normal" recording by hitting R when watching Live TV to retro-actively
apply an end late isn't worth the benefit.  Not to mention the fact that
hitting R during Live TV doesn't even work properly, right now--meaning
any time spent on that code would be better spent fixing the brokenness.

Now it is possible--and not too difficult--for you to manually extend
the recording-in-progress that was created when you hit R (the same way
you do when you extend any other already-in-progress recording--left as
an exercise for the reader since explaining all the various approaches
would be way more typing than I care to do).  And, since you won't be
creating a lot of recording rules this way (after all, the fact that
you're starting the recording from Live TV means that you likely missed
some portion of the beginning of the show before you stumbled upon an
interesting show), doing so shouldn't be too much work.  (In other
words, the point of a DVR is to set it to record anything and everything
you might possibly want to watch so that you always have something more
interesting to watch than whatever is currently airing--along with its
commercials and such--and you can then delete (or let it expire) the
cruft as you get more and more recordings of better shows to watch.
And, BTW, I mean /anything/ and /everything/--including news and sports
and ...  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/387302#387302 )

Mike