[mythtv-users] mac mini remote: Living with 6 buttons

Monkey Pet monkeypet at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 04:37:03 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Monkey Pet <monkeypet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On 21 July 2012 16:49, Monkey Pet <monkeypet at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I have a mac mini I am using as a mythtv-frontend with the remote that
>> came
>> > with it.  The remote only has 6 buttons: Left,Right,Up,Down,P,M.  So how
>> > should I configure it so that it has the most functionality.  I am using
>> > lirc. Currently I have it configure like the following:
>> >
>> > 1. Up - Up
>> > 2. Down - Down
>> > 3. Right - Right
>> > 4. Left - Esc
>> > 5. M - Menu
>> > 6. P - Enter
>> >
>> > I used the left button as the Esc Key, losing the ability for a left
>> cursor
>> > key. Wondering if anyone did anything more creative.
>> >
>> > Also is there an easy way for me to specify the LONG PRESS versus a
>> normal
>> > tap?  That would give me at least 6 more buttons.
>>
>> 6 buttons with myth is just not enough.
>>
>> The Apple remote can actually produce 255 * 6 discrete IR signals...
>> What I did was to learn lots of signals using the Apple remote on my
>> logitech universal one, and control mythtv that way with a appropriate
>> lirc configuration
>>

> Hi, how did you teach the universal remote the extra IR signals??  I know
> I can obviously press the 6 buttons on the mini remote, but how do I
> generate the rest??  Thanks.

I stumbled on this doc:

http://funwithcomputers.wordpress.com/2008/03/01/using-the-harmony-880-remote-with-your-macs-built-in-ir-port/

If you hold menu+play/pause for a few seconds this ID is incremented with
possible integer values between 1 and 252. This allows your remote to send
1,512 (252 * 6) distinct signals (ignoring any differences sent when you
hold down a button vs a press).