[mythtv-users] CableCard Chain.

Ryan Patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 15:55:33 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> Convincing people that there's a problem is nearly impossible.  Too
> many believe it's "just the way it is."  A lot of my (well-educated, believe
> it or not) friends actually believe I'm stealing TV because I don't pay for
> cable or satellite service.  They grew up in families that never had OTA
> systems, so they think TV is something that comes from the cable company.
> When I try to explain that local broadcasters actually send a signal over
> the air for anyone who can receive it to watch, they have no idea what I'm
> talking about...

In 2007 I setup my new HDTV for my father's annual march madness final
game party (along with mythTV).  One of his friends couldn't
understand how I was getting an HD signal of the game.  I explained
several times how TV stations broadcast their signals over the air for
free.  But in his mind the signal had to come from a cable or
satellite company.  There was no way to get it for free.   To this day
I'm sure he thinks I was illegally stealing the signal from somewhere.

-Ryan