[mythtv-users] logitech harmony setup (hell) - wiki outdated?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 20:54:19 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM, ikke <ikke at iki.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got my fingers on Logitech Harmony 1000. I learned it really needs
> windows to set it up, which is a serious downside for a linux person.
> But too late for that, need to setup XP in KVM...
>
> I read the Harmony page on mythwiki [1], and it tells to use some
> mythtv setup from harmony. And Harmony setup page suggests MythDora.
> After I choose it, it successfully adds mythtv pvr as a new device.
> The problem is now that it won't allow it to be used in any of the
> activities. How can I add a new activity with it?
>
> I setup PS3 as a DVD and movie player for activities, since it was the
> easiest to start with. Now I would like to setup a new e.g. "Watch
> Recordings" activity for MythTV, but it won't appear on the list of
> devices capable of carrying out the activity.
>
> About the wiki. Someone really sat down and wrote a lot about it,
> thanks for him. But he doesn't mention about such activity problems.
> Also I noticed that people here on the list seem to use rather some
> Windows Media Center config for Harmony, instead of the MythTV one.
> See thread "Finding a suitable device for a Harmony remote" [2]
> earlier this year. Is the wiki outdated?
>
> I would hate to pick the wrong way forward, just to find out after two
> weeks of setup hell that I picked the wrong way, and need to start all
> over again the other way. Please share your experiences along with the
> lirc setup file for the chosen Harmony config.
>

> [1] http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Generic_Setup
> [2] http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2012-March/328985.html

The activity you will want to use is "MythTv" and I believe you can
customize it to say that (it may be use a PVR or something like that,
it has been a long time since I set mine up).  What this will do is
send any code to power on myth (not mine, myth is always powered on),
power on your TV and receiver (or keep them on if Harmony thinks they
are already on) and adjust the inputs correctly.  The LCD on your
remote will then change to whatever defined settings you have there
for your mythtv (e.g., I have a play music, play recordings, play
videos on that screen all linked to jump points for those activities).

I don't think you can set an activity to just "Play Recordings."