[mythtv-users] Time to get a SSD?

Bert Haskins bhaskins at chartermi.net
Wed Jul 25 17:33:18 UTC 2012

On 07/25/2012 10:52 AM, Joseph Fry wrote:

>     I usually don't post this type of stuff, but it looks like
>     to good of a deal to let past.
>
>     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239045&Tpk=20-239-045&nm_mc=EMC-GD072412&cm_mmc=EMC-GD072412-_-index-_-Item-_-20-239-045
>     <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239045&Tpk=20-239-045&nm_mc=EMC-GD072412&cm_mmc=EMC-GD072412-_-index-_-Item-_-20-239-045>
>
>     With Promo Code: EMCYTZT1951
>     Free Shipping!
>
>     Starts at 12 PST (US)
>
>     Final price - 79.99
>
> Almost jumped on it, then I realized that I have no need for a 120GB
> SSD, at least not for mythtv.  Gonna save a few bucks and get a 64GB
> drive, sure the price per GB is higher, but it's not like I'm using
> the SSD for much more than booting and storing my database.  I'll
> spend the difference with a couple sticks of extra RAM.
>
> I suppose I could use it for livetv, but I'm not sure if it would make
> any difference in channel changing or anything like that.  Commercial
> flagging and transcoding are both CPU bound, so I don't think it would
> make a difference there. Any advantages to having a larger SSD in a
> myth system that I'm overlooking?

I wish that someone would come out with one of these that
was shorter and could be used, with a SATA/PATA adapter.
There is  still a bunch of old equipment that uses the 2.5 PATA.
They could just use a spacer on the other end for SATA applications.
I do use a compact flash with some systems and though it seems to work
well, CF is quite expensive for any decent size.
The SD to PATA adapters that I've tried were slooooooooooooooooooooow.