[mythtv-users] CableCard Chain.

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 14:35:30 UTC 2012

Ben Kamen wrote:
>Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>A lot of my (well-educated, believe it or not) friends actually
>>believe I'm stealing TV because I don't pay for cable or satellite
>>service.  They grew up in families that never had OTA systems, so
>>they think TV is something that comes from the cable company.  When
>>I try to explain that local broadcasters actually send a signal
>>over the air for anyone who can receive it to watch, they have no
>>idea what I'm talking about...
>
>(Present arm. Slap forehead)

Yeah, my thoughts exactly - and the sort of problem we are up against.

Over here, there is still a mindset that Satellite TV == Sky, even
though we have a very good FTA service (Freesat, DVB-S[2])) as well
as terrestrial (Freeview, DVB-T[2]). I think that (the sat==Sky bit)
is now starting to change with the number of PVRs on the market.

Thankfully we've almost got rid of the universal mindset that "phone
line" == BT, it's only taken 3 decades since privatisation and the
introduction of competition for it to happen !

--
Simon Hobson