[mythtv-users] distorted recordings after system upgrade

Marco Nelissen marco.nelissen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 14:02:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Neil Bird <neil at fnxweb.com> wrote:

> Around about 24/07/12 18:50, Marco Nelissen typed ...
>
>  I got a new motherboard (Asus P8H77-V LE), new CPU (Core i3 2160), new
>> graphics card (Asus ENGT430) and new RAM.
>> I reused the case, harddrive and tuner cards (Dvico ATSC) from my existing
>> system. I didn't reinstall, I just reconfigured the existing install for
>> the
>> new network, audio and video devices.
>>

>   So same drive?
>
>   As a wild stab in the dark, did you keep the PSU?  Maybe it's just a few
> Watts short now to drive things properly.
>
>   I only mention it as I suffered a few years ago when I added a couple of
> fans to my system and it pushed it over the edge.  I didn't suffer what
> you're seeing, but the system started randomly locking up, sometimes after
> a while, sometimes during boot.  I think I had a 350W one, and bought a
> 500W.
>
>   I got a meatier PSU and it was all sorted.  It's not necessarily a cheap
> what-if, though.
>
>   Of course, it may not have been the Wattage that counted, it might have
> just been on its way out!

So far it looks like updating the BIOS to the latest from ASUS' website
fixed the problem.
I did have a similar PSU problem to what you describe once. Ended up
getting a SeaSonic PSU at the recommendation of a coworker, replacing the
Antec one that came with the case. Haven't had any problems since.