[mythtv-users] mac mini remote: Living with 6 buttons

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Wed Jul 25 09:20:30 UTC 2012

On 20/07/2012, Monkey Pet wrote:

> I have a mac mini I am using as a mythtv-frontend with the remote that came
> with it.  The remote only has 6 buttons: Left,Right,Up,Down,P,M.

1) There is the 2nd gen Apple remote with 7 buttons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Remote

It has a select button as well as a Play/Pause.

2) If you are up to modifying the code and recompiling,
the long press behaviour is accessible,
but the current code has reasonable defaults:

        case AppleRemote::Up:
            code="Up";

        case AppleRemote::Down:
            code="Down";

        case AppleRemote::Menu:
            code="Esc";

        case AppleRemote::Select:
            code="Enter";

        case AppleRemote::Right:
            code="Right";

        case AppleRemote::Left:
            code="Left";

        case AppleRemote::RightHold:
            code="End";

        case AppleRemote::LeftHold:
            code="Home";

        case AppleRemote::MenuHold:
            code="M";

        case AppleRemote::PlayPause:
        case AppleRemote::PlayHold:
            code="P";

(from mythtv/libs/libmythui/AppleRemoteListener.cpp)

The only ones not there are UpHold, DownHold and SelectHold,
which could be coded to do PageUp, PageDown and Info, for example?

Jean-Yves is right, though. If you can use a remote
with more buttons, you will be a lot more efficient.

--
Nigel Pearson           |"All day, every day,
nigel at ind.tansu.com.au  | without killing someone?