[mythtv-users] CableCard Chain.

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Wed Jul 25 07:46:20 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-25 2:23 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Chuck Peters wrote:
>
>> I am trying to get a better understanding of why after running mythtv since 1996 and being forced by our local cable company to convert to digital, they will force me to pay for channels I can't watch, and upgrading to their so called "Digital Basic" they will allow me to watch 2 of 48 channels.  The lowest tier of this digital transition "Expanded Basic" has 26 channels set so we can't watch them.  We are getting screwed.
>
> You forget a couple of key points :
>
> First, and most important, too many people really can't see why this is a problem. The same people buy and i<thing> and buy into "St Steve's" claim that it's all for their protection and security; same goes for the slightly less closed Android platform. The same people who buy DRM infested ebooks, and closed DRM infested devices like Kindle.
> Because so many people are prepared to buy these, then the manufacturers will sell them in that state. Put simply, the number of people who understand the issues is very small - insignificant in fact.
>
> Secondly, this is all about money. Forget any rhetoric about safety and security, it's all about money and control. By going digital the cable companies can screw you. They can effectively prevent you from doing anything but watching what they push to you, when they push it, on a device approved by the industry. They really couldn't care less if a handful of MythTV users turned round and refused to pay - the other 99.99% of the population will pay.

Amen.

It's truly sad that people have forgotten how to vote with their wallet.

Imagine if everyone  cancelled their Cable for just 3 months with the message to their provider at disconnection that, "I'm unhappy how you've been railroading me to pay more for less content and even less choice. Bring back my choice and my content without the fees that goes with DRM everything, and I'll happily sign up."

Just 3 months... just think of the message.

But just like the folks crying out that Apple hires Foxconn to enslave people (however they want to term it) and how we should sign petitions for them to change their ways when really we can send a bigger message by refusing to give them our money, as long as people keep paying, companies aren't going to change a thing.

We have the power. We simply choose not to exercise it.

  -Ben