[mythtv-users] CableCard Chain.

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 02:10:40 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:53 AM, Chuck Peters <cp at ccil.org> wrote:
> OK, except that it doesn't seem possible that this is just hardware based
> because WMC (Windows Media Center and Windows 7) will record and play (on
> the machine it was recorded on) video streams with the CCI flag set as
> protected-copyonce.

WMC implements something called a "protected path", which uses
signed codes that insure that the content(s) cannot be accessed
from outside of that "protected path", which was what Devin was
saying was an alternative implementation.

For some MythTV users, the pragmatic alternative for MSOs that
are more protective of their content is to take advantage of the
"analog hole", and purchase something like a HD-PVR.

   See:  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR

The other alternative (for some) is to change MSOs (or move :-)

And while I expect it to have little to no impact (the decision
about what to protect is probably above their pay grade), you
should raise your concerns with your local franchise manager
(and not just some CSR at the front desk).

Gary