[mythtv-users] Backup software

Nelson Tang nelson at tangspace.com
Mon Jul 23 23:09:38 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Amy Overmyer <aovermy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Anyway, what I was thinking is since I do have a stack of harddrives, if
> there is software out there that could backup my existing linux setup on
> that slave to another harddrive? I don't think any of them are identical in
> size, so imaging would probably not work.  I've read a little about
> MondoRescue on this list, but that thread was from 2006! Does anyone do
> something similar?

I've heard of, but never personally tried, greyhole
(www.greyhole.net), which takes any number of heterogeneous-sized
drives and presents a single logical storage pool that replicates
files onto a (user-configurable) number of copies onto the actual
drives.  This doesn't sound exactly like what you want, but it may be
a way to use up your stack of old drives (while taking into account
the fact that they're old and none are 100% reliable - hence the
user-configurable number of redundant copies).

--nelson