[mythtv-users] hdpvr latest firmware color saturation issue question

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 23:14:51 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:

> If anyone want to try it, this patch should fix the saturation problem when
> using a 3.4 kernel and the 1.7.1 firmware:
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10930

FD: I do not have a HD-PVR, so I have no standing in this debate.

When the driver is actually wrong, such patches should
be submitted/applied upstream (in the driver).  That means
everyone is a winner.

Rather than hardcoding a fixup, is not a better temporary patch
(until you get the patch into the kernel) is to set the initial values
at the device creation to be "more reasonable", and let the user
decide for themselves what the correct values should be set to
for their unique cases (the linux way is to allow one to shoot
ones-self in the foot, or whatever exposed body part one wants
to aim at).  I am in favor of good defaults.  I am not in favor of
taking away my good judgement.

Gary