[mythtv-users] update ceton firmware?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sun Jul 22 18:52:19 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Magic 8 ball says "maybe not".
>
> Seriously, though, this list isn't about Ceton support, but rather MythTV
> support.  While someone here might know, you'd be better off asking Ceton.

My god, what is all the fuss about? It's very possible that a firmware
update could break the mythtv ceton code. It's happened before where I
had to do a few small tweaks to make it work, so it's always possible
it could happen again. Since the mythtv support isn't provided
officially by ceton, chances are their changlog or forums wouldn't
tell you much about how it works in mythtv. So the appropraite way to
find out would be either to try it yourself or to ask in this forum. I
can't blame someone for wanting to ask before trying, especially since
on some hardware once you've upgraded it can be difficult or
impossible to downgrade (luckily, on the ceton downgrading is
trivial).

Meanwhile all the traffic from your fussing about asking a legitimate
question here had generated 10 times the amount of traffic as it would
if you had just left the thread alone or maybe let 1 or 2 people
answer "yes/no it did/didn't work for me".

As to the "5 users" claim, my person email logs from people who saw me
on list and then contacted me off list indicates a LOT more than 5
users here. Maybe there are only 5 of us that post about it often.

As to why upgrade it nothing is broken, there can be plenty of
reasons. Even the best hardware occasionally has glitches, and the
newer firmware could be better in that respect. Or maybe it has faster
tuning times or something...things which would not necessarily be
broken, but could provide a better experience with the newer firmware.
"If not's not broken, don't fix it" isn't always the best answer. It's
certainly the safest answer, but not necessarily best.

As for the original question, I wasn't aware that newer version was
available. I'll test it out sometime and report back if nobody else
beats me to it.

--
Ron Frazier