[mythtv-users] 0.25 channel icons not being found/opened

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 11:11:18 UTC 2012

On 22/07/12 03:47, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Jonatan Lindblad <mythtv at comhem.se> wrote:
>> On 2012-07-05 17:49, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM, Greg Grotsky wrote:
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> hrmm. it's too bad the channel icons are not a storage group, so all
>>> my frontends could obtain the icons from the same location. having to
>>> download them to each frontend is an unnecessary pain.
>>
>> There actually is such a storage group, and If you follow Greg's advice I'm
>> quite sure it will work.
>>
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/cda7871fad69c83ba1f254ec5f0fa547f4bc1864
>>
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/58fd2a556b6df98abe159bbe0713920afad57e29
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/519142#519142
>>
>> --
>> Jonatan
> I think the issue I have is the storagegroup for them is "missing" in my setup.
>
> I just noticed in one of those patches that it looks like there should
> be storage groups I don't seem to have:
> ChannelIcons
> Themes
> Temp
> Streaming
>
> do you guys have storage groups with these names?

The "issue" is that mythtv-setup simply puts the icon images in the
~/.mythtv/channels folder of the user running mythtv-setup (lets say
root), but MythFrontend is looking for them in the StorageGroup "Channels".

To fix the problem, the first thing you need to do is move the
/root/.mythtv/channels folder somewhere that it's accessible by all of
the frontends, I'd suggest putting it under your main MythTV folder, so
something like /data/mythtv for example.

You would then have a folder called /data/mythtv/channels.

Now start mythtv-setup and go into option #7 "Storage Directories" and
create a new one called "ChannelIcons", this is hard coded into
MythFrontend as the StorageGroup to query.

Add the location /data/mythtv/channels to this storage group.

Now you need to go into option #6 "Channel Editor" and select each
channel in turn.

For each channel, you need to edit the field labelled "Icon:", which
should have "/root/.mythtv/channels/blah.jpg". You need to change this
so it just reads "blah.jpg". One of the side affects here is that
mythtv-setup will no-longer show the icon against the channel as it
doesn't seem to understand StorageGroups.

I'd recommend you do one or two for testing purposes first, then once
you're happy it's working go on to do all of them.

So next you come out of mythtv-setup and run mythfilldatabase.

Once it's finished run

rcmythbackend start
mythfrontend

You can then either go into "Watch TV" and press "S", or go into Manage
"Recording / Schedule Recordings / Programme Guide", either way you'll
get to see the Programme Guide which should now have icons for the
channels you updated.

Once you're happy it work for you, go back and update them all in
mythtv-setup, you shouldn't need to run mythfilldatabase again, it only
when you do the StorageGroup setup that you (or at least I) seem to need
to run it.

All of this was on OpenSUSE 12.1, so if you use a different
distribution, certain things may vary.

Cheers
Gordon