[mythtv-users] Sound in mythtv but no where else

Kevin Johnson dabears_rule at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 05:09:24 UTC 2012

Hi all.  I have been searching for weeks and have not found a solution.

No hdmi sound at all on desktop,youtube, or xbmc.

I have sound in mythtv no problem.  Configured as ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,Dev=1

kernel = 3.2.0-27-generic

Processor = Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz

video = gt430

mythbuntu = .25 latest fixes

alsa = 1.0.25

nvidia driver = 295.40

card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]

  Subdevices: 1/1

  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]

  Subdevices: 1/1

  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

  Subdevices: 1/1

  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

  Subdevices: 0/1

  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

  Subdevices: 1/1

  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

  Subdevices: 1/1

  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I have tried every possible solution I can find on the web and NOTHING
gets me hdmi
No variation of asound.conf has worked.
There is no sound in the desktop or anywhere else except mythtv.

Yes, I can use the spdif output for mythtv and everywhere else.
However, the spdif out has a very loud and annoying popping sound when
exiting and entering live tv.

So I want to use hdmi.  And hdmi should work right??

Suggestions?  Am I missing something simple?

Is mythtv not allowing other programs to use the hdmi sound?

Yes, alsamixer is all unmuted.

Appreciate the help.

I posted results from the alsa info script here,

http://pastebin.com/r7V1PMFh