[mythtv-users] Anyone with a MythTV and Free-to-air satellite setup in the United States?

Robert Kulagowski rkulagow at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 18:57:05 UTC 2012

I'm doing some investigating of FTA setups but I don't have any
background knowledge. I understand how something like a cable lineup
works - download the lineup, get a channel number, and at the right
time either the tuner natively changes to that channel if it's analog,
or a channel changing script pulses IR to switch to channel "1453" and
the capture device (like a PVR-150) is recording from SVideo.

If I look at Mike's list here:

http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html

what sort of information is required from that table to get a
satellite STB to do the "right thing"? Does each user generate a
custom channel -> satellite number at the set top box? Is there a
lookup table maintained by the STB where the user has programmed in
something like "channel 7" -> 101 West, H-11820, 0210	ac-3	0202" when
they want to watch "PENTAGON CHANNEL  SD"

and then all you do is hit "7" on your remote, or does changing
channels on a FTA STB get more complicated?

Thanks.