[mythtv-users] DTV and Viacom Shenanigans

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Jul 11 21:31:18 UTC 2012

>         It is that time once again. My cable carrier is in a pricing
>> dispute with a media conglomerate and some of my channels have gone
>> dark. This seems like something that happens often enough anymore that
>> there should be features built into MythTV to address it.
>>
>>          Something like "corporate overlord" column in the channel table
>> and a quick way to temporarily disable channels or cleanup recordings
>> that contain nothing more than some indication that there is a pricing
>> dispute in progress.
>>

> Mark the channel(s) not visible in mythtv-setup or mythweb channel editor.
>
> Mike

Mythweb is by far the easiest way, especially if your talking about
multiple channels, and you don't need a backend restart (though you should
probably do a mythfilldatabase to force the scheduler to run).  Best thing
about the visible flag is that you can toggle it on and off pretty
easily... I use it on days when we are expecting bad storms and I want to
force the use of my QAM tuners rather than my ATSC (OTA) tuners.