[mythtv-users] systemctl

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 13:37:46 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 8:29 AM, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
> G'day all
>
> I'm going crazy trying to start mythbackend using systemctrl
>
> If anybody can help --- pretty please ...
>
> Got the (fedora) systemctl file from the wiki: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Systemd_mythbackend_Configuration

Whoops!!! Looks like there's an error in the wiki version!

Just so anyone having this issue hopefully finds this thread I'll
explain it in full again... (in other words, this is not directed at
you, James)

There are many options for how to run mythbackend with SystemD  but
one decision you

*MUST*
*MUST*
*MUST*

make is if you're going to run:

 Type=simple

or

Type=forking

If you use Type=simple (which is my recommendation) then you *CANNOT*
use the "--daemon" option because SystemD is not expecting the daemon
to fork!!!

If you use Type=forking then you *MUST* use the "--daemon" option as
well as specify a PID file, "--pidfile" in ExecStart *AND* you must
set the PIDFile= systemd option so it knows where to find the PID
file.

Someone please fix the wiki!

Thanks
Richard