[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - How many People have Video libraries over 8TB?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Jul 9 15:25:40 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 04:37:03PM +0100, Alexander Fisher wrote:
> On 7 July 2012 08:43, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> > Another Sillyname wrote:

[deletia]
> > Fair enough. I don't want to get into an argument either, but I don't think
> > it's a good idea having a competition for who's got the biggest unlawful
> > media collection in public. That comment was also aimed at others, not just
> > you.
> >
> > MythTv has already appeared in news media, described as a tool for pirates,
> > lets not give that sort of person more ammunition.
> >
> > You don't agree with me - fine, lets leave it at that.
>
> As long as people exercise common sense, I don't think there should be
> any real problem discussing media library sizes.
> Personally, I was most interested in the technical decisions and
> reasoning behind different decisions.
> RAID5 + spare vs RAID6 for example.  How people manage backups.
> Anybody using BTRS yet? etc.

    I have two copies of my media. One sits on a RAID5 array and the
other sits in a JBOD "array". I have a script that syncs the two up.
Both setups are visible to the entire home network. The JBOD setup
depends on symlinks to provide a unified view of the data.

    I just use ext3 for both arrays.

[deletia]

    The "small stuff" gets rsynced around to other machines that have
the extra space for it. A couple of my frontend boxes have mostly
empty hard drives that are overkill for a frontend but are big enough
to hold stuff like music, photos, home videos, and other miscelaneous
media files from the beginning of time.

    The small backups are done with rsync and cron.