[mythtv-users] How to test the myth protocol URL?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Jul 9 12:32:43 UTC 2012

On 7/9/2012 04:24, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM, David Fishburn
> <dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Are there any tools or packages out there that can handle a URL like this:
>>
>> myth://mythconverg:myPasswd@192.168.1.40:6543/recordings/1023_20120506000000.mpg
>>
>> XBMC streams these URLs and that is what I am trying to debug, so I wanted to test it outside of XBMC.
>>
>> I tried VLC, but it didn't work.
>
> I think that is "proprietary" (for want of a better word) to xbmc. But
> you could try mythavtest.

Nope. That is very much different from the URIs MythTV will hand out
itself. MythTV does not use a username or password in the backend
protocol, and instead repurposes the storage group as the username.
Including the database username and password doesn't even make sense, as
that incorrectly assumes the database and backend are at the same
address, and the database is using the standard port 3306.