[mythtv-users] Recommended distro?

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Sun Jul 8 23:04:03 UTC 2012

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 00:38:44 +0100, Cecil Watson <knoppmyth at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Maybe I don't understand 'appliances' - I only gave it a go because I
>> had some issues with my latest MythBuntu and >>thought I'd try an
>> alternative. However I've always been perplexed as to why it doesn't
>> permit a partition install.
> Define "partition install". When LinHES gets installed, it creates 3
> partitions.
>>
>> I presume it expects you to copy music/photos/videos onto the system
>> after installation. Personally I would never mix >>my data with the OS.
>> Having separate partitions for music/photos/videos/tv is very
>> conveneint for many reasons. Are >>'appliances' never
>> reinstalled/backed-up/get corrupted ?
> LinHES doesn't mix your data and the OS. By default, all your data goes
> on a separate partition (/myth).
>>
>> IMO LinHES either needs 2 disks (1 OS, 1 for partitioned data) or you
>> have to live with everything on a single, massive >>partition. That's
>> certainly something that would influence my choice of distro!
>>
> Again, LinHES has never used a single partition for everything. It
> simply doesn't make sense. For most of it's history, >KnoppMyth never
> used a single partition for everything. I don't know where you are
> getting for information from but it is >wrong.
>> And it seems so unnecessary. I can't see a reason for it. IMO allowing
>> a (standard) partition install would only increase its
>> bothered to set up a VM just to try it out....
> See above.
>>
>> Regards
>>

> --Enjoy the day,
>
> Cecil

Hi Cecil,

By "partition install" I mean installing to a specific partition (or
unused part) of a disk without affecting any other partitions of a disk.

It was some time ago but I remember being confronted with a screen asking
for an Install disk and partition sizes. With the "appliance" talk, and
LinHES installation info being somewhat scarce, I got the impression it
was going to wipe the whole disk (and my data) to use for itself, so I
aborted at that point and gave up. I was busy at the time so I probably
wasn't thinking straight...

I was hoping someone would contradict me but the previous responses
appeared to confirm my supposition, thus the rant.

However, after a bit more thought and re-reading of the Install guide I
suspect now that a further page (undocumented 3a?) would have allowed me
to specify the disk area for LinHES to use for its partitions. Certainly
the installation won't do anything until screen 10, so I've probably been
spouting rubbish, haven't I?

Thanks for setting me straight on the OS/data partitions issue. The point
I was really trying to address was whether LinHES can co-exist on a disk
with pre-existing data partitions.

I've never tried Arch/Knoppix and have been using Ubuntu for so many years
I was confused by the different installation process - "select a disk for
installation and click Next" tends to make me panic when I've got valuable
data there!

Thanks for responding. I'll try it again sometime. And take it to the
LinHES forums next time...

Regards