[mythtv-users] Seagate Lockups (was libraries over 8TB)

Don Lewis dl-mythtv at catspoiler.org
Sun Jul 8 22:11:56 UTC 2012

On  7 Jul, Travis Tabbal wrote:

> My test for new drives is now to put them in a ZFS mirror, and fill them to
> 100% capacity, then to a zpool scrub on them to make sure they are holding
> the data properly. I've found a few bad drives this way that wouldn't have
> shown up with normal testing unless I happened to hit that bad block. I
> usually repeat the test a few times, by destroying the pool, then starting
> over. It takes a long time, but it beats finding out the hard way months
> later.

I've got a drive burnin machine that I use to test all of my new drives.
I boot it using the Ultimate Boot CD and fire up Darik's Boot and Nuke,
which I configure to do four passes of random data overwrite, with
verification of all passes.  This can take several days to run on a
large drive.  This seems to catch all of the early drive failures,
usually within the first pass or two.  So far I haven't had any drives
that pass this test fail within their next couple of years of runtime.