[mythtv-users] Recommended distro?

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 7 23:26:45 UTC 2012

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 00:19:10 +0100, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:

> On 2012-07-06 6:15 PM, Roger Siddons wrote:
>>
>> I wanted to try LinHES a while ago but gave up when it wouldn't install
>> onto a partition. It appeared to demand the whole disk. My system is
>> tiny compared to some on here (!) and I can't spare a whole disk. This
>> seems a serious limitation to me...
>>
>> Am I correct about this ? And, if so, is there a reason for it ?
>
> Hi Roger,
>
>    LinHES isn't really designed around that. It's intended to be "build
> a machine like a TiVo and install" -- it's an appliance style build.
>
> If you want to install Myth and use it on an existing system, than
> installing Myth via RPM is more what you'd like to do.
>
> I hope that clarifies.. Essentially, LinHES is the wrong tool for what
> it sounds like the job you want to accomplish.
>
> Cheers,
>
>   -Ben

Maybe I don't understand 'appliances' - I only gave it a go because I had
some issues with my latest MythBuntu and thought I'd try an alternative.
However I've always been perplexed as to why it doesn't permit a partition
install.

I presume it expects you to copy music/photos/videos onto the system after
installation. Personally I would never mix my data with the OS. Having
separate partitions for music/photos/videos/tv is very conveneint for many
reasons. Are 'appliances' never reinstalled/backed-up/get corrupted ?

IMO LinHES either needs 2 disks (1 OS, 1 for partitioned data) or you have
to live with everything on a single, massive partition. That's certainly
something that would influence my choice of distro!

And it seems so unnecessary. I can't see a reason for it. IMO allowing a
(standard) partition install would only increase its usage/popularity,
even if only for trials - I certainly can't be bothered to set up a VM
just to try it out....

Regards