[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - How many People have Video libraries over 8TB?

Harry McGregor hmcgregor at biggeeks.org
Sat Jul 7 23:09:19 UTC 2012

On 7/7/12 3:01 PM, Another Sillyname wrote:
> I have banking clients with Arrays using 2TB+ drives, the largest
> array I've seen was about 100TB usable IIRC consisting of 75 2TB
> drives in RAID6 with hotspares, this was a production array for data
> archiving so not mission critical but a legal requirement, running
> 24x7 and kept in a very cool data centre (ambient air temp is about
> 12c), there's at least 800 servers in that centre so the AC costs
> probably run £1m+ PA.

I work with storage arrays that use up to 180 3TB drives, as part of my
day job.  This is using a distributed RAID 1 system.

The key to large arrays of large disks is to reduce rebuild time. The
arrays I work on at work deal with this by using parallel rebuild
methods, and can keep the window manageable.

Personally for home/media library use, I use Raid6.  I don't tend to
recommend Raid5 for anything over 4 drives.

I am the type of person that was using Raid1 for standard desktop
systems 8+ years ago, due to the benefits of being able to keep the user
running vs the cost of a cheap hard drive.

Raid never takes the place of proper DR and backup, but if your willing
to kiss your data goodby if something catastrophic happens, it's a good
safeguard.

-Harry