[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - How many People have Video libraries over 8TB?

digid myth digidmyth at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 17:34:13 UTC 2012

I have 12 TB for my video, but no raid. If I add a 2 tb disk I add a 2 tb
backup disk on the 2nd server. I would never build a raid with 2 TB drives.
Takes too long to rebuild the raid and 60% of the time you will have a 2nd
drive fail during the rebuild. Everything is set up in storage groups, and
Myth handles multiple disks just fine. Everytime I have lost something on a
raid it was during a raid rebuild of a failed disk. In the corporate world
no drives larger than 500G or so are typicly put in a raid group for just
this reason.

My disk space costs a little more by doing it this way, but I have a
backup, and I keep the backups turned off most of the time so I am also
saving power. The only drive that is spinning when I am watching video is
the disk that the file is on, not the complete raid. I do use raid for my
data shares and os, just not to store my video.

Dale