[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - How many People have Video libraries over 8TB?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Jul 6 17:30:27 UTC 2012

On 7/6/2012 12:42, Alexander Fisher wrote:
> On 6 July 2012 17:19, Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> and where (roughly) are you located.
>>
>> I've got 13TB and am in Kent, UK.
>
> I've currently got 96 DVD feature films ripped (no recompression) to
> mkv and the median filesize (quickest type of average for me to work
> out) is 4.5GB.
> 13TB would equate to around 3000 films!

13TB isn't much when you start getting heavily into HD content.  My hour
(45min) long recordings are 3-6GB when the commercials are clipped out,
and the half hour sitcoms are 2-3GB.  HDDVDs are going to run 15-20GB
for the feature film.  Bluray is going to be 20-30GB for the feature
film.  If you're keeping the bonus content and extra audio/video tracks,
figure 6GB, 25GB, and 35-40GB for a DVD, HDDVD, and Bluray,
respectively.  A couple years of archived recordings, or a large HD
movie collection, will eat through tons of storage

> I've got 4x2TB disks, but only 4TB is usable.  It's currently configured as
> a 3 disk RAID5 with a hot spare

Why use a hot spare rather than RAID6?  If you're going to have the disk
live anyway, why not include that disk in the parity set?

> Only then will I feel comfortable spending the hours required to rip all my
> remaining DVD collection.

As of late, my biggest concern about having to re-rip my DVD collection
is not being able to re-rip my DVD collection.  A while back, I moved
all of my HDDVDs over to a new 2TB Green, only to have it fail
irrecoverably a week later.  About half the disks can no longer be read,
failing to copy as they transition to the second layer.  Of those, maybe
two thirds were WB films that could be replaced through red2blu.  The
rest needed to be repurchased.