[mythtv-users] HLS very blocky

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Jul 5 15:21:31 UTC 2012

On 7/5/2012 11:09, Andre wrote:
> I've recently upgraded to 0.25 and trying HLS streaming for the first time.
>
> The video streams are extremely blocky regardless of HD or SD source mpeg2 or h264 and regardless of streaming resolution and bitrate!

The HLS encoder is currently hard coded to L1.3, which means it will not
exceed around 800kbps.  That low profile is intended for mobile devices,
over low speed consumer broadband.  If you run the output resolution too
high, there is simply not enough data to manage the compression and it
looks like garbage.