[mythtv-users] Switched from Debian Stable to Ununtu Server (12.04). Best approach for mythtv backend?

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 20:53:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Alan Chandler <alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk>wrote:

> Due to a major hardware failure over the last week I have had to rebuild
> my main house server (mail, dns, web etc).  This was running Debian stable
> (Squeeze) with mythtv 0.25 via backports.
>
> Thinking  I might be able to make use of the 0.25-fixes repository I
> rebuilt the server using Ubuntu-Server 12.04.  However, looking a the
> mythbuntu web site it now seems to do everything through the
> mythbuntu-control-centre - and assumes that you do not need to know any
> details of how to get access to the correct repository.
>
> It also implies that the control centre is already installed - but I
> presume that is because I am using the server edition and it assumes you
> have the desktop.  I installed the control centre via aptitude, and it
> pulled in loads and loads of additional junk with it.  However when I try
> and use it, all the icons are missing and I get an error when it tries to
> do anything which requires admin permissions. I think it might have been
> trying to add something to my sources.list file.
>
> I don't really want the hand holding of the control centre if I don't need
> it - I can just as easily run mythtv-setup manually.
>
> Does anyone know how I can set the ubuntu-server up so I can get my
> backend to pickup 0.25-fixes.
>
> --
> Alan Chandler
> http://www.chandlerfamily.org.**uk <http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk>

It's a little unintuitive, but visit this page:
http://www.mythbuntu.org/existing-ubuntu

and click on the chrome looking Install MythBuntu image. This should add
the correct repos for your system and let you install -fixes

You never have to open the control center if you don't want to, but it does
have some handy utilities for optimizing MySQL and a few other settings.