[mythtv-users] Made my own fanart but Myth's not using it

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Tue Jul 3 18:41:44 UTC 2012

On 03.07.2012 11:06, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 03/07/12 07:05, Karl Dietz wrote:
>>
>> * contribute the art upstream so everyone can enjoy it. In return you
>> get to use the well tested automatic process for fanart.
>>
> He might not have wanted to upload images because of potential copyright
> issues. You don't know where he got the image(s) from. Pulling a file
> for your own use is one thing, but uploading it for others would
> probably result in a lot of lawyer's letters.

While I do understand where you are coming from that is bad advice as
either

a) you don't want to get lawyer letters and sued. then you *must* keep
  your name of an internet service contract (and even that is not enough
  sometimes) as there are so many mistakes being made "oh, we messed up
  the login time's DST, whoopsy". ("I do not have internet" usually gets
  you off the hook sooner or later)
  So just leech on others bandwidth to play it safe

or you live with the risks that are involved with operating an internet
account and

b) you go the polite way and simply ask the source if you can share the
  art via a fan art collection site. If its a professional source the
  answer is likely no (as the right owners give only very limited
  redistribution rights in my experience) but if its an enthusiast source
  you likely can share it with a "leave the name tag intact" restriction

c) you use your fair use rights. no need to ask. (that is an US example,
  there is no fair use in the old world, yet. Works for at least the
  noncommercial databases)

d) lastly you can stick it to the man... Its not as if there are whole
  tv shows that feed on "funny clips from the internet". (some do take
  care of rights clearance and some don't. You might even get your own
  video pulled of the net after it got stolen by a company)

Being afraid and not using the rights you *do* have does not help
anyone. You are still being sued and the rights will be slowly taken
from you as "no one is using that right anymore".

Regards,
Karl

PS: IANAL, but I can read the news and have to live with the
restrictions that tv stations have to impose on the data feeds I get.
That's part of the reason that I'm tooting the tvbrainz horn. Its lots
simpler to go the bottom up route with tv metadata as you avoid the
licensing issues by building on community contributed data.