[mythtv-users] Single partition or whole disk

Ramon Hofer ramonhofer at bluewin.ch
Tue Jul 3 07:41:07 UTC 2012

Hi all

I wanted to switch the filesystem from jfs to xfs for my recording disk.
It's a 2 TB WD green drive. I have second one of the same type and I
wanted to partition it with xfs to copy the recording from the old jfs
drive.

I have accidentally written the filesystem to the whole disk:

~# mkfs.xfs /dev/sdk

I copied all the recordings while mythtv was stopped. Today I saw that I
have the jfs filesystem on the old drive on a single partition (sdi1)
and the xfs filesystem on the new drive directly (sdk):

/dev/sdi1      jfs    1.9T  1.9T  3.9G 100% /mnt/recordings
/dev/sdk       xfs    1.9T  1.9T  3.3G 100% /mnt/recordings_temp

I didn't know that this is even possible. But since I want to use the
whole drive I wonder if this is ok or (and why) it's better to create
one big partition over the drive.

Best regards
Ramon