[mythtv-users] What's the4 status of direct playback of Blu-ray?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Jul 1 15:54:00 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 12:17:22AM +0100, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 29/06/2012 22:52, John Morris wrote:
> >On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 15:30 +0100, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> >>Just bought a Blu-ray drive for my gf's frontend, but then read
> >>of BD+ not being supported. Is that still the case? What are
> >>people's experiences? Are most current releases using BD+ and
> >>hence unsupported?
> >
> >Lets be realistic.  Getting the main title to play is probably feasible
> >with an impractical expense and effort.  See the interesting thread that
> >developed here about using a Windows VM and AnyDVD for a solution
> >requiring over a hundred dollars of closed source software and a ~fifty
> >dollar BD drive vs. a fifty dollar standalone player.  Lots of nerd cred
> >there, but if you want to insert a disc and see it now, buy a player.

   Well. The funny thing is that this doesn't seem to work either. They
are so concerned about the prospect of "us stealing stuff" that they have
made the resulting solution brittle and dependent on constant updates in
the field.

   That leads to a lot of horror stories. So I am not so sure that a cheap
appliance is really the answer.

   At least decrypted stuff stays decrypted.

   Although my use of liberated media is more about features and convenience.

   I would only ever bother with a console player for something rented from
Netflix or Redbox.

[deletia]