[mythtv-users] Can't watch TV Permission Denied opening recording file despite chmod a+rwx

John Brown jb2904 at johnbrown.com.au
Sun Jul 1 10:35:28 UTC 2012

Thanks. Problem solved. Mythtv is evidentally is sensitive to the permission of the mount point when the drive is unmounted rather than the permissions of the mounted folder. Every other program used to access the same drive uses the permissions of the mounted folder. If this is not a mythtv bug then I'd consider it to be an extremely undesireable feature!

To solve the problem, I unmounted the drive (I had to find then kill a few process that were accessing the drive to do this), and noticed the mount point (/media/data) had a user/group of root/root. Since various data and programs use the mounted drive I didn't want to change it to group 'mythtv'. Instead I changed the group of the mount point to 'users':

chgrp users /media/data

Then added the mythtv user to the 'users' group

usermod -a -G mythtv

I then rebooted as a cheats way of restarting everything and it worked!

Thanks.