[mythtv-users] [OT] LCD TV or LCD Monitor for Front-end

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 19:45:28 UTC 2012

I know this is at least slightly off topic, but I'm hoping some people here
will
have some good insight / info that they can pass along.  In my bedroom I
currently have a Samsung 26" 720p LCD TV connected as a frontend.  In
addition
to the frontend PC, I also have the TV connected to a cable box and a
blu-ray
player.

Recently while changing some connections the HDMI port on the TV became
loose.
It is now to the point where when I try to use the HDMI connection I'll
either
get a "no connection" message on the TV or the colors will be messed up.
Sometimes I can fiddle with the cable and get it to display OK.  But even
then,
after some time of the picture being OK it will either drop out entirely or
the
colors will go bad again.  I've tried jerry-rigging the connection to
secure it a little but so far nothing has really done the trick.

So, now I've started looking around for a possible replacement.  My
question is
do I get another LCD TV, or are the LCD monitors that are out there now as
good
or better for what I need?  I really want to get something capable of FullHD
(1080p), especially since I now have the blu-ray player.  I'm strongly
considering something with an LED backlight, but I guess that isn't a
necessity if I find something that fits my needs without it.  With these
specs
in mind I've seen several Acer, Asus, Viewsonic, etc. 27" LED-LCD 1080p
monitors that consistently get good reviews / ratings in the $250-$350
range,
which fits my budget.  For LCD TV's I am only seeing a couple of Vizio 26"
models with similar specs as the monitors in this same price range.

The only thing that is holding me back from going with a monitor right now
is
that none of the models that I've looked at so far can be controlled with a
remote or have a sleep timer; two functions that I use quite often with my
current Samsung.  What else should I be considering that might swing my
decision one way or the other, or push me towards a specific brand/model?
 With
the monitors you see all these categories like brightness, contrast ratio,
response time, etc. and the specs sometimes vary wildly between one model
and
another.

Thanks in advance,
John