[mythtv-users] MythTV and 3D ?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 10:47:38 UTC 2012

Mike Perkins wrote:

>As a matter of interest, what happens for those of us who either don't have or
>don't want 3D TV? There will probably be occasions in the future
>when all that's
>transmitted for a particular program is a 3D option. How will this
>be displayed
>in 2D? Alternate frames? I can't see it being possible to blend the
>viewpoints.

You may find these blog entries useful/interesting.
http://gonedigital.net/tag/3d/

Seems the BBC have been asking themselves exactly that question - how
to offer 3d without p***ing off anyone without 3d equipment. The
latest trick they've experimented with was to transmit a side-by-side
split screen and use the MHEG scaling options to stretch one half up
to full screen for 2d viewers. Previously they've done simulcasts -
eg 3d on BBC HD, and 2d on BBC One (SD) and BBC One HD.

I can't help thinking a better way (as already suggested in this
thread) would be to transmit a full HD image plus a separate stream
with difference information. 2d equipment could just ignore the
difference stream (and we could configure our equipment to not store
it), while 3d equipment could process it. Sounds sensible, but I
guess the encoding requirements could be quite significant.

Problem is, the standards are now effectively "set in stone" by what
is already in people's living rooms - so it seems a bit a**e about
t*t to be still working these questions out :-/

--
Simon Hobson