[mythtv-users] RVU support = computerless FE?

Dave Badia dbadia at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 22:42:11 UTC 2012

So this may not be the best time to bring this up given some of the
other threads... but RVU (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RVU_protocol)
is starting to gain traction and there are working implementations of
the spec (http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/samsung-smarttv-comcast-timewarner-fios-directv/)
and the "remote UI" model.

It seems this would be a potential (I stress the word potential) way
to have the TV itself be a myth frontend.  I'm not a myth developer,
but here's how I see it:

Thoughts:
a) RVU clients are starting to be included in TVs.  Samsung announced
the client will be in all Smart TVs in 2012.  Hopefully the RVU client
becomes a "checkbox" feature in the future and other manufacturers
follow suit
b) RVU is a superset of DLNA/UPNP; myth already has some level of
support for UPNP (to what extent I don't know as I've never really
used it).
c) myth would (obviously) require changes to become an RVU server - see bad news

Bad news/outstanding questions:
1) Can mythtv, as an open source project, implement the RVU protocol?
any licensing issues here?  (I don't see any but I am not an expert)
2) while RVU is build on top of open standards, the RVU spec is not
open and costs $500 US to download. While that sounds like a lot, the
"low cost" FE I build last year cost me $300 US.  Perhaps users could
contribute funds to pay for the spec (50 users @$10 each?).  While
there's a very real chance that the devs get the spec and immediately
see 100 reasons that myth can't implement it - personally it's a
gamble I'm willing to take given the possibility of not having to
build/maintain yet another FE at some point in the future.  Imagine
being able to buy a TV, mount on the wall and have instant access to
MythTV!
3) To the myth devs - is this something anyone would actually be
interesting in developing?  Does this fit into the future "direction"
of mythtv?  It would be best to set the expectations up front
especially for those who would consider contributing money to purchase
the spec.  Not asking for a commitment of implementation but simply
trying to understand if there is motivation on the development side to
work towards RVU server support

Dave