[mythtv-users] unable to connect to backend on localhost

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Jan 22 16:10:56 UTC 2012

On 21/01/12 22:25, John Pilkington wrote:
> After the initial connection from my remote box had been made and then
> failed, and while the frontend default-theme screen was still displaying
> its 'unable to connect to the database' message I sshed into mysql from
> TT3 as user mythtv and queried the server status.
>
> Connection id 233, Current database mythconverg, user mythtv at localhost,
> SSL not in use, Connection localhost via UNIX socket,
> Server Characterset latin1, others utf8
>
> Anything here look like a possible culprit? And a cure?
>
> John P

After more experiments I now have the Mythcenterwide theme active and
can see the Programme Guide and play a frontend-local iso video.  But I
see no Recordings listed and still get 'Could not connect to the
master-backend server' messages in between successful database-queries.
  MythCoreContext seems to be looking in the right place, but timing out.

I've renamed a mysql.txt instance created by mysql-workbench; no change
seen.

Do I need NFS to be active here to play, on the 'new' frontend,
recordings that exist on the backend box?  The FE/BE system in that box
still seems to be working fine.

TIA

John P
---------------------
2012-01-22 14:46:09.264 MSqlQuery::exec(DBManager0) SELECT data FROM
settings WHERE value = 'masterbackendoverride' AND hostname =
'presv5000' <<<< Returns 0 row(s)

2012-01-22 14:46:09.266 MSqlQuery::exec(DBManager0) SELECT data FROM
settings WHERE value = 'masterbackendoverride' AND hostname IS NULL <<<<
Returns 1 row(s)

2012-01-22 14:46:09.267 MSqlQuery::exec(DBManager1) SELECT recgroup,
password FROM recgrouppassword WHERE password IS NOT NULL AND password
<> ''; <<<< Returns 0 row(s)

2012-01-22 14:46:09.310 MythCoreContext: Connecting to backend server:
192.168.1.4:6543 (try 1 of 1)

2012-01-22 14:46:09.311 Connection to master server timed out.

                         Either the server is down or the master server
settings

                         in mythtv-settings does not contain the proper
IP address

2012-01-22 14:46:09.503 MSqlQuery::exec(DBManager2) SELECT data FROM
settings WHERE value = 'displaygrouptitlesort' AND hostname =
'presv5000' <<<< Returns 1 row(s)

2012-01-22 14:46:09.503 PlaybackBox Error: SortedList is Empty