[mythtv-users] Mythvideo: series suddenly renames itself

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Jan 21 16:18:11 UTC 2012

On 1/21/2012 10:06, George Nassas wrote:
> On 2012-01-21, at 9:40 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> A planned change to the schema will allow multiple media files for any
>> given recording or video.
>
> Ooooo, that's a welcome development. Can you tell more? Like, when it
> might arrive.

It's not anything particularly new.  It's been in some planning stage or
another for something like three years now, and has been mentioned
multiple times on this mailing list.  The plan is to start implementing
it shortly after the 0.25 release, giving the bulk of the 0.26
development cycle for ironing out any lingering bugs in the transition.
The idea centers around having one single table to define all file
content MythTV has access to.  Then you have a series of cross-reference
tables that can map multiple files to a single metadata entry, and
multiple metadata entries to a single file.

> In particular, will this tie together streaming with recording
> metadata? Right now the stream APIs are oriented around filenames
> while recording APIs want chanid/starttime. When you have a stream
> there's no obvious way to know what recording it pertains to without
> keeping your own filename -> metadata structure. That's easy enough
> but it feels like there's a missing link.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.  The new Services API, and
the old MythXML before it, both use chanid and starttime in the
recording access methods.  On the other hand, the backend protocol might
use filenames to start the transfer, but all subsequent calls reference
a far more ambiguous socket id, which is arbitrarily generated, and
bares no reference to anything in the metadata.  If you're looking for a
QUERY_FILETRANSFER subfunction that returns a ProgramInfo block for that
socket id, I honestly see no utility in that.  As you say, it's easy
enough to maintain that link client side.