[mythtv-users] OT: SMB performance?

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Jan 19 21:22:16 UTC 2012

On 2012-01-19 3:05 PM, Doug Lytle wrote:

> Ben Kamen wrote:
>> Setting either of these anywhere but 1500 mucks up the world. They perform best when disabled.
>
> Just an FYI, you don't want to mix MTUs on different clients.  If you
> set it 7200 on one host, set it that way on all of them.
>
> I've always had issues when I've done that.

The CentOS box is the only one I can't set to 9K -- and for fun, I did set CentOS and my Windows box to something that matched and it just doesn't work so well.

I was just thinking about that and trying to find a reference...  I did find a forum post that says frame size is supposed to negotiate -- but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So I would agree with you mixing sounds bad... but, when you (or I) consider that everyone seems to support something different... Yuk.

The working on the Intel drivers is to only enable when jumbo frames are supported and set to the same size -- but then when you look at the sizes it supports, (off, 4k, 9k) and then couple in the fact that my switches only have "off" and "10240" but say they support "up to"...

it gets messy real quick. The lowest common denominator is 4k. Yuk.

So much for "standards".

  -Ben