[mythtv-users] HDHomerun signal problem. Will HDHomerun Prime help?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Thu Jan 19 09:24:08 UTC 2012

    > Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:12:24 -0500
    > From: Devin Heitmueller <dheitmueller at kernellabs.com>

    > On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
    > > I don't see much the link between SD and 4:3, I've been watching SD
    > > broadcast in 16:9 for over 10 years on FTA.

    > There isn't a direct correlation beyond the fact that most Americans
    > have never seen 16:9 in standard def.  There's also essentially no
    > support for WSS signalling in NTSC (it's technically defined in the
    > standard but no hardware supports it).

What?  My Sony WEGA 36" flatscreen CRT supports it, and my PVR-250 can
detect it (say, from playing a widescreen DVD into it), and my PVR-350
can emit it, and the TV will change modes accordingly.  These were over
composite or S-video connections (in other words, baseband, not RF).

I never saw it used by any broadcasters back when I had analog RF or
analog cable, but it -did- work.