[mythtv-users] HDHomerun signal problem. Will HDHomerun Prime help?

Mark D. Montgomery II techiem2 at techiem2.net
Wed Jan 18 16:05:29 UTC 2012

Quoting Tim Frye <fencerf at gmail.com>:

> Preface:
>
> So I bought a HDHomerun before Christmas and I have it successfully
> recording clear QAM from Comcast in the NH area.  I'm having a problem
> recording channel 7-1, however.  I keep getting an error indicating that I
> should have received a lock by now.  As of 2 weeks ago, I was having the
> same problem on channel 5-1 as well, but I had Comcast out to my house for
> a different, unrelated problem and they hooked up an amplifier which, by
> side effect, seemed to solve the issue on 5-1.  I asked the tech about the
> issue with my DVR (i.e. Mythtv) and they said that I needed a DTA to
> guarantee tuning all of the channels that I have access to and that they
> couldn't help me (On a separate note, I have the REALLY basic cable package
> from them).  In the same conversation, they indicated that I would lose all
> of my HD channels as they would be scrambling them shortly as part of a
> digital transition.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) I thought that they were required to broadcast anything that I could
> feasibly get over the air from local affiliates in the clear.  Does what
> they said regarding the HD channels make sense?  I have non-HD equivalent
> digital channels of the ones that I would lose, but I love the HD.  If that
> is the case, I would be inclined to return the HDHomerun and get the
> HDHomerun Prime.  I presume I would then get the HD channels with the
> CableCARD setup.  Is this correct?

What they did here in PA:
They switched everything to digital (analog tuner went dead)
They encrypted everything they can so you have to use a DTA or cable
box to see all of your subscribed to channels.
They leave open the channels they are required to leave open, so your
digital tuner will pick up the local stations and whatever comes
through the line unencrypted (often including channels that they do
not feed to your subscription).
The DTA box only supports outputting 4:3.
The standard cable box will feed 4:3 and 16:9 feeds, but Comcast
processes everything out of HD down to SD (unless you are paying for
the HD cable box and service, which we aren't).
Sometimes they severely botch this process and CROP instead of
converting some feeds (I've seen this on football games where both
sides of the feed are cropped off - real classy guys).

What I setup for Dad on our TV:
I put a splitter on the line before the cable box.
One side goes into the standard cable box, which connects to the TV
via Composite inputs.
The other side goes directly to the TV (it has a digital tuner).

So when he uses the composite input, he gets all the comcast channels
as fed through the cable box.  When he uses the coax input, he gets
all the unencrypted channels straight through the line (including the
full HD versions of the local channels that Comcast screws up when
they process them).

So basically the more you pay the more they leave the feeds alone...

Mark II

--
Mark D. Montgomery II
http://www.techiem2.net