[mythtv-users] VDPAU Feedback

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 17 18:00:53 UTC 2012

On 01/17/2012 01:15 AM, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> On 1/16/2012 9:47 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:

>>> Really, lirc? I thought that was special. Learn something new every day.
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> You piped in on my GT-430/CentOS 5. Regardless, that is a symptom of the
>>> kind of problem that will only get worse as time goes on and the
>>> developers of the various subsystems only develop for newer kernels.
>>>
>>> Figuring out my problems with CentOS 6 is going to be a better use of my
>>> time.
>>
>> LIRC became part of the 2.6.36 kernel some 15 months ago.  CentOS 6 runs
>> the 25 month old 2.6.32 kernel.
>
> See! It wasn't my imagination! :)
>
> Beats the heck out of 2.6.18 in CentOS 5.

Beats me why you are beating your head against the wall for a mythbox.
For a corporate server, I can see you wanting to run CentOS 6. For a
mythbox, I really cannot see any reason why you should not step up and
use Fedora 16, with all of the kernel modules recently polished and
shiny. And lirc included as a kernel module using dev-input.

All of the 'all-in-one' distros use recent kernels. Mythbuntu is up to
Ubuntu 11.10 which uses a 3.0 kernel. Linhes is on 2.6.39.

A mythbox is supposed to be a tool to be used. Why make it a roadblock?

Geoff