[mythtv-users] rip DVD (I own) to storage with menus

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Tue Jan 17 15:26:13 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 10:14 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> Things may have changed in the meanwhile, but I've sworn off USB since
> around 2005, when any data transfer over a few GB would consistently
> cause kernel panics in both the Athlon64 and P4 SuSE workstations we had
> at the lab.  At least that is when the data transfer didn't just
> inexplicably stall, and require the drive to be power cycled.  Firewire
> to the same drives always "just worked", and transferred easily twice as
> fast as USB.

That's why in this case it is a good solution - a normal DVD SD movie
will be around 500mb, total.  I don't think I would use it as a record
drive (though some have, apparently)... but as a storage sink - sure.
One with an ethernet port is better, though...

Plus the original author can just pick up the thing and move it around,
and if there was ever a problem in the house (flood, fire), he could
grab his movie/music/whatever collection pretty quickly (I would be lost
at my house - I don't practice what I preach in this situation).

--
  Kris B.
  krisbee at krisbee.com