[mythtv-users] rip DVD (I own) to storage with menus

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 12:49:53 UTC 2012

Chris Finley wrote:
>DVDFab's DVD Copy does a good job of making ISO's with menus and
>all.  I have not tried the ISO's with the new storage groups - but I
>have read that they should now work.

I've done whole disk images, and found they work with 0.24.1. I think
it may be related to the frontend (Mythbuntu) as some of them (Men in
Black is one) won't play on it. However the same image plays fine
with a 0.24.1 frontend on my Mac.

Apart from this, disk images in storage groups seem to "just work" -
drop in the image, scan for changes, then the disk appears in the
menu. Play it and you get just the same as playing the real disk.

I used Fairmount (http://www.metakine.com/products/fairmount/) and
"dd" for some disks. I think I did MiB with Mac DVDRipper Pro
http://www.macdvdripperpro.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARccOS_Protection says that ARccOS can
also be overcome with ddrescue.

>If you want to encode titles to other formats, you need DVD Ripper.
>I do not think it will produce an ISO.

Toast (commercial),
http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/titanium/overview.html has a
"Fit to DVD" option that is supposed to compress video while copying
DVDs - but I've never tried it and I don't know if you can compress
to arbitrary disk sizes.

--
Simon Hobson