[mythtv-users] HDHR or Hauppauge HVR-2250 for next tuner card?

Joey Morris rjmorris at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 14 15:35:50 UTC 2012

Tom Hayward <esarfl at gmail.com> wrote on Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 08:25:58AM -0700:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 08:12, John Nissley <jnissley at nissley.org> wrote:
> >>  Why not get a HDHomeRun Prime or Ceton card?  Comcast has to be able
> >>  to provide you with a CableCard.
> >
> > I would get a HDHomeRun Prime but Time Warner does not have any non clear QAM channels that allow mythtv to record and I do not see a reason to pay $120 more for something I really can not use.
> > If you know of any reason that I should think that Time Warner will start to allow recordings on not clear QAM channels with a cable card then I would purchase and HDHomeRun Prime.
>
> You're mixing two concepts: encryption, and copy-protection bit.
> ClearQAM means the channel is not encrypted. The CableCARD in the
> Prime allows you to record encrypted-QAM channels. However, you can
> only watch them with MythTV if the copy-protection bit is set to
> copy-freely. With Windows Media Center and DRM, the Prime will allow
> you to watch programs with copy-freely OR copy-once. Even without the
> DRM, the Prime with MythTV will give you access to many more channels
> than with ClearQAM.
>
> Here's an example of channel counts for my Comcast subscription:
>
> ClearQAM: about 20 channels
> encrypted-QAM + copy-freely: about 120 channels
> encrypted-QAM + copy-once or copy-never: about 10 channels (HBO and Showtime)
>
> So with my service, the Prime will give me access to everything except
> HBO and Showtime. I suspect your service is similar, although copy
> protection bits have been known to vary between providers and service
> areas. Your best bet is to find a TWC customer and Prime/Ceton user in
> your area and ask them.

>From everything I've read (including several times on this list), Time
Warner marks everything except the locals as Copy Once. Therefore Time
Warner customers have very little reason to get the Prime, as the OP
stated. I'm in a Time Warner service area, and I would also consider
subscribing to their cable service and using a Prime if they marked
their channels Copy Freely as Comcast does.