[mythtv-users] HDHR or Hauppauge HVR-2250 for next tuner card?

John Nissley jnissley at nissley.org
Sat Jan 14 14:28:15 UTC 2012

On 01/14/2012 12:33 AM, George Nassas wrote:
> On 2012-01-13, at 10:42 PM, John Nissley wrote:
>
>> Should I get
>> another HDHomeRun since I watch mostly the channels that do not have the
>> copy flag set or should I get an HVR-2250 so I can get analogue and
>> clear QAM channels?  I guess my biggest question is does the analogue
>> really work on the HVR-2250 because many of the post I read say that
>> there are problems.
>
> I use a HVR-2250 as an analog tuner and it's fine provided you're
> using a fairly recent kernel. I have it running under 2.6.39. It may
> also work under earlier kernels but those gave me trouble with audio
> over HDMI so I didn't spend much time with them. The card works well
> enough as a tuner. I find the audio a bit harsh or tinny but I haven't
> had a chance to investigate if that's the hardware, driver, or my
> settings. Or my ears.
>
> The above is a PVR I built for a friend. In my personal PVR I have an
> HDHR and a 2250 recording HD OTA (& also an HVR-1600 but never mind
> that). I'd say they're comparable as digital tuners. It's hard to make
> blanket statements since the manufacturers like to rejig the hardware
> configuration so my milage may vary from yours. My HDHR is the 1st
> generation which had the weakest tuners but it's still pretty good
> IMHO. I regularly have situations where all five tuners are going and
> I haven't found one to be noticeably better than the others. Weather
> and broadcaster shenanigans are a bigger factor for me.
>
> - George
Thanks for all of the recommendations.  Because of the comment about the
analogue channels going away I checked new releases for my cable company
and it would seem that in about 4 years the analogue channels will no
longer be supported.  For this reason and because I am still reading
about blue recordings happening on a switch between digital and analogue
on the HVR-2250 I will pick up a HDHomeRun because I just love the
version 1 that I currently use.

Again, thanks again for being so helpful.  This list is always awesome
and is part of the reason I have used Mythtv for over 6 years.